A security guard, who worked in Manchester following the aftermath of IRA bombings, has died of asbestos-related cancer twenty years after he believed he was exposed.
Stuart Packard worked in the Arndale Centre as an emergency security guard for three weeks, after the attacks in June 1996.
He died in December 2015 at the age of 40 from asbestos related cancer, Mesothelioma. It is believed that Mr Packard was exposed to the carcinogenic dust caused by demolition work on the buildings that were attacked, which caused £1.5bn damage and injured 200 people.
Mr Packard was diagnosed with the disease in March 2015, his family believes that during the time he was working at the Arndale Centre, he didn’t receive appropriate protection from asbestos.
It is believed that during the attacks the buildings that were destroyed were contaminated with asbestos, and that Mr Packard was not provided with protective clothing during his employment.
His family’s legal representative has started to appeal for information from former employees, who worked on the site with Mr Packard, about the protective clothing and masks.
Mr Packard’s father-in-law Rod Barrett said: “He said he remembered the demolition ball knocking down buildings right behind him and there being dust and rubble everywhere.
“When he was diagnosed with the disease, he thought back to when he could have been exposed to asbestos dust and it all fell into place.”
The solicitor representing the family spoke of the tragedy: “Mesothelioma usually attacks people at retirement age, but Mr Packard was only 40 when he died, which makes this case even more tragic.”