A teacher in North Lincolnshire has died following exposure to asbestos at various schools throughout a twenty-seven year period.
A coroner report has revealed that 68 year old Elizabeth Belt died as a result of mesothelioma on September 9 2015.
Mrs Belt died at her Broughton home in Lincolnshire after battling with the incurable cancer for three years.
Mrs Belt claimed that there may have been exposure to asbestos at her first teaching post at Brigg County Primary School stating: “There may have been exposure to asbestos at the infant section of the school. There were large sections of boarding where the children’s work was displayed and there would be a change of work every two to three weeks.”
She reported that during autumn term the classrooms would appear dusty.
She moved to Baysgarth School in Barton-Upon-Humber in 1978 and taught at the school for seventeen years leaving 1995.
She reported that the school used similar boarding used at Brigg County Primary School, where pupils with behavioural problems would cause damage to the boards and walls. She also claimed that the classrooms would become dusty after weekends.
The coroner Paul Kelly said: “There was no obvious exposure to asbestos after 1995 and it is likely that the asbestos ingestion had occurred before 1995. I have no doubt that Mrs Belt contracted malignant mesothelioma as a result of ingesting asbestos while working as a teacher at various schools in North Lincolnshire between 1968 and 1995.”