The family of a former electrician and engineer worker is appealing for former colleagues to come forward with information, after he died from asbestos-related cancer.

Norman Rhodes, 87 died in 2015 later after his death it was revealed that he was suffering with Mesothelioma, a cancer that is caused by asbestos exposure.

Before he died Mr Rhodes experienced breathing difficulties, chest pains and infections. It was revealed that he worked at a range of companies in Chesterfield area.

Between 1943 and 1953, he worked for Markham & Co as an apprentice before moving to Royal Hospital Chesterfield until 1975.

It was reported that Mr Rhodes worked as maintenance electrician, working on boilers, x-ray machines and heating systems.

After 1975 he worked for a fuel company as a boiler engineer, followed by employment at Kennings Fuel until retiring until 1990s.

His family have enlisted solicitors to help gain answers into how Mr Rhodes was exposed to the deadly asbestos fibre.

The family’s legal representative said: “Sadly, despite employers knowing how dangerous it is, many in the past did not do enough to manage the risks of asbestos exposure to protect their employees.

“Because the illness is linked to exposure to asbestos decades ago it can sometimes be difficult to find information on the working conditions the victims have endured.

“In Norman’s case, he worked across numerous different employers across the Chesterfield region and we would urge anyone who worked with him to get in touch.”