Bosses at a South Ribble farm shop and restaurant have been fined £60,000 after serious health and safety failings resulted in four children fighting for their lives.

Huntleys Country Stores in Samlesbury near Preston admitted they breached a duty of care, after failing to assess the risks that led to an E.coli outbreak, after visitors were allowed to stroke and feed lambs and watch lambs being born.

Managing Director Harry Wilson, 68, pleaded guilty to a breaching Health and Safety Act regulations and failing to care for employees and visitors that attended the Lambing live event. He was fined £60,000 and ordered to pay South Ribble Borough Council £60,000.

A total of fifteen people were struck by the killer bug thirteen being children, with nine people seriously ill and needing hospital treatment.

As a result of the bug four children were transferred to Manchester Children’s hospital, with some parents told their children could die, after the children developed Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome after suffering kidney failure.

Annabelle Martin, 7, was one of the children who were transferred to Manchester Children’s hospital and required three transfusions and eleven days of dialysis.

Her mother Juliette Martin said: “The impact on the family has been extremely traumatic. Annabelle has developed a phobia of needles and becomes very anxious before any hospital appointments. Since the incident she has lost all interest in animals for fear of becoming ill again. We do not know what she will have to face in puberty and key milestones in her life such as pregnancy and old age.”