The family of a tourist who died after being burned in the shower of a hotel chain are seeking compensation.

Kalyani Uthaman 59, from India was visiting Scotland when she was badly burned in a Premier Inn Hotel shower in Newcraighall Edinburgh.

Mrs Uthaman was found minutes after slumped in the shower by her daughter-in-law, Mrs Uthaman was treated with 25 per cent burns on her body and was kept in intensive care. She died six weeks later from multiple organ failure.

Her family have now started health and safety breach claims with Scotland’s highest civil court in Edinburgh and are seeking more than £1million from Premier Inn.

Mrs Uthaman’s son speaking from Bangalore said that the incident has been devastating for the family, he added: “It is an irreparable loss given the love and affection she had for us and we had for her.

“It was something none of us expected would ever happen in a very safe country like the UK.”

Spokesperson for Premier Inn said: “This is a very sad incident. Our thoughts are with the family of Ms Uthaman during what must have been, and which must remain, an extremely difficult period for them.

“We have worked closely with and supported the relevant authorities with their inquiries around this case.”